Monday, June 9, 2014


I'm starting a new 2-part series here that is designed specifically for beginners with makeup. This series is stripping everything down to the most basic makeup you can do. I've categorized this into 2 parts, 2 levels if you will. These "levels" are sort of increasing in difficulty and complexity as you go up. I tried to choose all drugstore products because if you are a beginner with makeup you shouldn't go out spending tons of money on high end products before you even know what you like. So that being said, this is part one. I have a lot to talk about, so I'm just going to get into it.

I've selected a few products for a beginner to start out with, I'm going to start out listing these so you can know what I'm referencing:

2 eye brush picks:
Flat shader brush
Angled brush

Eyeshadow (the example I'm using is the Wet n Wild trio in Walking on Eggshells and the Maybelline single in Tastefully Taupe)
Black eyeliner (my suggestion is the Jordana 12 hr liquid pencil in Black)
Mascara (my suggestion in Jordana Best Lash extreme)
Tinted lip balm or lip butter (my suggestion is Maybelline Baby Lips and Revlon Lip Butters)


For level one, I'm not going with any face products.

First I'm going to go over some VERY basic eyeshadow placement.

Again, for a very basic eyeshadow application (this doesn't apply for every look you do), you would use the lightest color closest to your nose and work up to the darkest color, so the darkest shade would go into the outer v. Here's an example:
This example is using the Wet n Wild trio in Walking on Eggshells, but I actually switched the placement of the eyelid and browbone shades for the sake of the chart.
Anyway, you would use the light shade on the entire, blend the darkest shade into the outer v, and use the lightest shade on your inner corner and browbone (which is optional)

Another option for eyeshadow is taking a mid-tone shade (my suggestion would be the Maybelline single previously mentioned) and placing it on your entire eyelid. You can then blend the eyeshadow up from your crease.

After your eyeshadow, you can add a bit of eyeliner. A good method to applying eyeliner (especially for beginners) is to lightly press the liner into your upper lashline, creating sort of dots of liner- it doesnt need to be a perfect line. You can then take a clean angled eyeliner brush or smudging brush and go over the eyeliner to soften and perfect it.

After this, you can finish the look by adding some mascara. My favorite method to applying mascara clump-free is to first hold the wand very close to my eye and blink into it to coat my lashes. I then wiggle the wand into my upper lashline and swipe it upwards. For such a basic makeup look, 1 coat of mascara is enough.

Finish off with a tinted lip balm or lip butter- be careful with the lip butters because some of them can be quite pigmented. Choose a nude or light pink shade.

So that's it for level one, as basic as basic gets. Look out for level 2 soon- I just need to get all my pictures edited and things.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik Light Red Pointer